The City of Cologne as a tourist destination
Foto: © KölnTourismus GmbH Dieter Jacobi
Cologne (Köln) - The lively city on the Rhine offers a wealth of cultural activities, international trade fairs and conferences, and numerous major events. Attractions such as Cologne Cathedral, which is recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and the city’s 12 large Romanesque churches create an unforgettable impression on visitors. The cathedral city of Cologne is home to many museums and galleries that present top-class art treasures of all styles and from all epochs. Cologne is considered an insider tip as one of Germany’s greatest cities for shopping and let us not forget the excellent and exciting night life. Over 3,000 bars, cafes and restaurants invite the visitors to enjoy a cool Kölsch beer.
The Cologne Tourist Board (KölnTourismus) is the official tourism organisation of the city of Cologne and thus the first point of contact for visitors from all over the world, whether they are coming here on business or to spend their leisure time.
The Cologne Tourist Board will make your visit to Cologne an unforgettable experience. The friendly staff members at the Service-Center across from the cathedral will be happy to advise you and give you valuable tips and information about organised tours, museums, theatre opening hours, current event calendar or public transport for an interesting stay.
Mondays - Saturdays: 09:00 a.m. – 08:00 p.m.
Sundays and public holidays: 10:00 a.m. – 05:00 p.m.
Discover Cologne inexpensively and conveniently with the KölnCard.
Free travel on public transport gives you mobility 24 or 48 hours a day; you also receive reductions of up to 50% from numerous partners.
The KölnCard is available for individuals or groups up to five persons regardless of age and valid for 24 or 48 hours.
You will receive the KölnCard at Cologne Tourist Board, at KölnShop, from numerous travel agents, at many Cologne hotels as well as at the customer service centres and many ticket vending machines of Cologne‘s public transport (Kölner Verkehrs-Betriebe – KVB).
- "Dreigestirn Altstadt, Dom, Rhein"
- Cologne old town ("Kölner Altstadt", Martinsviertel) including Cologne Cathedral ("Kölner Dom") (the town's landmark and UNESCO world culture heritage)
- museums, e. g. Museum Ludwig, Wallraf-Richartz-Museum, Roman Germanic museum ("Römisch-Germanisches Museum"), chocolate museum ("Schokoladenmuseum"), German Sport and Olympia museum ("Deutsches Sport & Olympia Museum"), Cologne carnival museum ("Kölner Karnevalsmuseum") etc.
- architectural Middle Ages relicts, e. g. Stapelhaus, Gürzenich, Overstolzenhaus, Eigelsteintor, Stadtmauer am Hansaring, Severinstor, Hahnentor, Ulrepforte, Weckschnapp
- important ecclesiastical architecture, e. g. Groß St. Martin, St. Severin, St. Aposteln, St. Gereon, St. Kunibert, St. Cäcilien etc.
- Rhine promenade (left and right waterside)
- KölnTriangle including 28th story viewing platform
- Haus 4711 "Echt Kölnisch Wasser"
- Mediapark including Cinedom (cinema offering 3,500 seats)
- TV tower Colonius
- Cologne zoo (Kölner Zoo), Botanical Garden ("Botanischer Garten") and Flora
- soccer stadium RheinEnergie Stadion
uncountable pubs, bars, breweries, discos, shows, e. g. in the old town, "Kwartier Latäng" around Zülpicher and Luxemburger Straße, Friesenviertel, Belgisches Viertel, Kölner Ringe, Südstadt etc.
- 1.2 mio. m² shopping area (more than Berlin!)
- Schildergasse, Hohe Straße, Ehrenstraße, Pfeilstraße and Mittelstraße with uncountable boutiques, scene shops, passages, shopping malls
- one of the most frequented German pedestrian precincts: Schildergasse und Hohe Straße
- Cologne carnival ("Kölner Karneval") – Fastelovend ("the fifth season" between November 11 and Ash Wednesday)
- gay and lesbian stronghold (e. g. Cologne Pride including Christopher Street Day/CSD)
- Kölner Lichter, music and fireworks spectacle at the Rhine
- Summerjam, Europe's biggest reggae festival
- Musical Dome showing Monty Python’s Spamalot
- event and concert hall Lanxess arena Cologne (83,700m², 18,000 seats)
- Kölner Philharmonie hosting classic concerts
- theaters, e. g. Schauspielhaus, Oper Köln, Millowitsch-Theater, Hänneschen-Theater etc.
- Tanzbrunnen, open air area with diverse events, e. g. Linus Talentprobe
- Art Cologne, art expo
- Cologne comeday festival ("Köln Comeday Festival")
- Lit. Cologne, literature expo
- FC Köln (soccer)
- Kölner Haie (ice hockey)
- Köln 99ers (basketball)
- Cologne Falcons (American football)
- KölnTriathlon (triathlon)
- Rund um Köln (cycling)
e. g. home town of Cologne-style music bands like
- Bläck Föös
- de Höhner
- Wise Guys
- approx. 4,000 bistros and restaurants with Cologne-style cuisine, e. g. Himmel un Ääd, Flönz, Kölscher Kaviar, Halver Hahn etc.
- diverse breweries offering approx. 30 different kinds of "Kölsch" (typical Cologne beer), e. g. Reissdorf, Früh, Dom, Gilden, Gaffel, Sünner, etc.
e. g. with TV shows
- RTL (RTL Television, Super RTL, VOX, n-tv)
- city tours/bus tours Cologne Coach Service (CCS), Inside Cologne, Stattreisen Köln
- cable car ("Rheinseilbahn") – Cologne from the air
- Heliconcept – helicopter flights
- boat trips Köln-Düsseldorfer, Dampfschifffahrt Colonia
... and much, much more ...!!!